Year 2 - Projects

Year 2 - Projects

Year 3 - Projects

Year 3 - Projects

Year 4 - Final Project

Year 4 - Final Project

Year 4 - Final Project

Computer Awareness

     Starting the project we are told the theme is 'awareness' and that we are to work in a slightly alternate way to normal. Focusing more on the critical reasoning and meaning behind the piece. I found it difficult to get started. I began by looking for an understanding of what awareness is. There was a short and simple dictionary definition of it, however I was looking for something that explored the concept more.

 noun
1.
the state or condition of being aware; having knowledge; consciousness:


I looked into the philosophy of awareness and began to find the roots of my problem. Awareness seems almost impossible to describe, explain or think about without getting into huge philosophical debates. You can end up stuck in a look thinking about thinking about think......


     “There was a young man who said though, it seems that I know that I know, but what I would like to see is the I that knows me when I know that I know that I know.”

-Alan W. Watts


One thing that came with the philosophy was meditation. I began to look into the methods of meditations. thinking of them as a task that a computer could repeat. The meditation was quite simple, list everything you are aware of as you are aware of it. An example being walking would look like.

"I am lifting my foot"
"I perceive the lifting of the foot"
"I feel the motion of the lifting of the foot"
 "I move the foot"
"I perceive the motion of the foot"
"I feel the motion of moving of the foot"

     The idea can lead to feedback loops or uncontainable information. It is meant to show us that it is impossible to try and be aware of everything. Instead we live are lives aware of only 1 or 2 things at a time.