Year 4 - Final Project
Changes and Additions
I have managed to show my work to a number of people recently who have given me some great feedback. In the final weeks before submission I had some time to take the feed back and make some changes to my piece. A number of points were made, mostly about the code, the "locking" of boats that prevents further development, the flow of boats under islands and the blurring of large amounts of lines.
To begin with, the number of boats were reduced to clear up the screen and allow people to follow individual boats.
To prevent boats getting stuck I gave them a time limit. When they run out of time the boats would be removed and replaced by a new one.
The border around islands was increased to provide more force to stop boats traveling past them. There is still an issue here though it isn't fixable in the time scale. There is an issue in the disconnect between physical and digital islands. The boats can only see the center of the islands where as the user can see the full contour.
To help invite people to use the piece I created an attracter mode that will activate after a length of time without interaction. When in this mode text will appear onscreen saying to "move the islands" and the screen will display a different style.